Aha!  So I think what you want is "proxy" editing, which has been
discussed some on this list in the past...you might want to search
back in the list archive to see how people have done it.  You will
probably have faster editing and a better end result if you use proxy
editing instead of just decreasing the video resolution a bit.

I think the basic idea is something like this before editing:
mv myvideo.mpg original-myvideo.mpg
ffmpeg -i original-myvideo.mpg [use some video/audio codecs] proxy-myvideo.mpg
ln -s proxy-myvideo.mpg myvideo.mpg

then open "myvideo.mpg" in cinelerra, do your editing, and when ready
to render close cinelerra and do:
rm myvideo.mpg
ln -s original-myvideo.mpg myvideo.mpg

then open cinelerra and it will load up the original video instead of
the proxy, and you can render at full quality.  As far as what
video/audio codecs to use to create the proxy, I don't know, as I
haven't done it myself.  Maybe mpeg2video at a low bitrate?

And to nit-pick (for no good reason), mpeg uses both interframe and
intraframe compression ;-)