I do enough of it to know. I am one of the people doing the filtering and it is rough
sorting them out.

For all of the methods that I have tried to evaluate somebody for a given position,
the least reliable information I can rely on is what the last guy thought the
candidate was worth. If it were right would we be talking in the first place? When it
comes down to money I try to have a picture of what the candidate can bring to the
table versus what we need to meet our objectives for the task at hand. It's not easy
but I personally lean away from specific skill-sets and salary in favor of attitude,
confidence and talent.  Good people will do well at anything they commit to and are
always a bargain at market prices.

On the business side of it though, I'm worried about the money/budget/skill-sets etc
that make a project tick. Sometimes it is difficult not to take advantage of the
situation to close the gaps in the budget. In reality that makes it a budget problem
which is something else entirely. As far as salary histories go I feel that the act of
requiring the upper hand in a financial negotiation cuts against the grain of my
belief that good business is mutually beneficial to both parties and is to be
conducted in good faith.

Are all employers against you? I think not. But some are. They are best avoided.

Ken Leja