Hi

Then you are truly a good person in your dealings, and commend you for it,
and hope that you can continue to practice business that way.

But you have to admit, that part of your job is to keep costs down, and you
will likely admit that the cost of a resource is a fair amount of a IT
budget these days, so it is to your advantage to get the best possible
people for the least amount of salary and benefits possible. It is quite
likely as a manager that part of your compensation is based on hitting
budget numbers, again there is another strike against "fighting for the
employee".

So the bottom line is that businesses are in business to make money.
Everyone that has financial responsibilities in the business has a
responsibility to drive profit to the highest levels possible. If you don't
the ownership will remove you. It doesn't matter if it is a fortune 500
company that gets killed in the stock market or a small "mom and pop shop",
if you are not making money to the owner's expectations, the ownership will
make the changes it sees fit to make money. So if a business is in the
business of making money then they are not on the side of helping people
make more money, have better benefits, better training, up to the point that
it starts to cost them money.

I once heard a successful business man say to me, while I was working for
him, that "XXX was built on the backs of excellent IT people that were too
stupid to fight for money, and worked for sh$% wages." Why? Because he could
bill them out on contracts for very high rates and pay the employee crap.

Frankly I hear lots of IT people say that it is coming time to have a IT
union, and based on my last ten years of work in IT, I would have to agree.
People are being taken advantage of big time, all of the time. A good
example, a manager recently told me that he would never pay a CCIE $100K/yr,
that it was too much money for the certification, well we all know that is
BS. How about the companies that hire programmers on salary and work them
60-80 hours a week without extra compensation or time off. Or how about the
recent bill in the US that is going to exempt IT professionals from overtime
time pay. Or my friend that works as a desktop tech and is paid $47K/yr by
the job shop, and the contract pays the job shop $108K/yr for him, if a bank
made that much money on a loan, they would be committing a crime,
loansharking. Now just imagine if there was a general strike of IT workers
in the US, the country would grind to a halt in a very short period of time.

One can make the argument that IT people should not work in places that act
like that, but that leaves VERY few places to work for. One could say that
IT people need to stand up for better pay, better benefits, etc, but guess
what a company can hold out MUCH longer than the average person can, which
means IT people end up take jobs that pay less than they should.

Sorry for the ranting and raving, but it really gets my blood boiling when
someone tells me that business is on my side, I know better, I have seen too
much to ever believe that one, it's kind of like finding out there is no
Santa when you are a kid.
--
John Hardman, CCNP MCSE+I

""whatshakin"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> You make it sound like employers are against you...Employers are actually
> hoping you are the candidate they are looking for, so they don't have to
go
> through this:
>
> Run an ad in a newspaper/online or use a recruiting service.   In my city,
> get hundreds, sometimes thousands of responses.  Wade through the resumes
> initially looking for the usual B.S (experienced in X...been working since
> Y(not really experienced)), and also pruning the idiots that cannot even
> bother to get their resumes to a professional level.
>
> This usually weans the resume pile by 90%.
>
> Read resumes again in more detail looking for those skills that match what
> we are looking for.
>
> Begin scheduling technical interviews and spending time with those
> candidates that are/were good at B.S*ing and those that are legitimate.
>
> Numerous hours/days later we have a handful (if lucky) of potential
> candidates.  Schedule the second round of interviews to test
inter-personal
> skills and hopefully get to within two or three candidates.   From the
> remaining candidates, if any, schedule third round interviews and get down
> to the nitty gritty of money and benefits etc.
>
> A month or so after beginning we may finally get some decent help...
>
> Most employers are more than willing to pay well the candidates that have
> what we want.  If you only have a couple of years experience though, you
> must realize you are not going to get more than $50K.  No way.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if the perfect candidate came walking through the door
> every time you needed one?  Doesn't happen, instead we have to go through
> that crap.

<--Snip-->