I strongly disagree with this. Previous salary says a
lot about how valuable your last employer thought you
were to them specifically and how much they felt they
could pay you and still keep you. Almost all employers
would probably counteroffer you if you said you were
going to leave. My last two did, by upwards of 20%.
Does that mean my skill level jumped 20% right after I
decided to leave and they decided they wanted me a
little more?
Why should my new potential employer pay me based on
what someone else thinks I'm worth? Why should they
leave their business decisions up to someone else? My
last company thought of me as a cost center. I was
there to support their network. My new company, where
I am a consultant, bills me out at $200/hr (pays me
nowhere near that much... heheh) and definitely
considers me a profit center. I bring them money and
they in turn think of me as more valuable. Did I jump
skill level from the last day at my last job and the
first day of my new job.... no. But my value to my
employer did. And that's what counts.

Mike

[EMAIL PROTECTED]