Dale,

I think the premise of the argument I am to make is to create a lively "debate" type of
atmosphere. Think about it, if I get up and do a boring (or semi lively even)
presentation on the pros/cons of Wireless, and do a good job at it, is it really going
to be that exciting! I would have to have the presentation skills of Laura Chappell to
pull that off :) BUT if I make an insane argument (and the more I delve into it the
more
insane it seems) it will garner lively discussion and possibly a better learning
atmosphere. At least this is what I hope.

Everyone,

Thank you for responding to this question, I will let everyone know how I did, the
presentation is next Thursday.

Mike Linehan

Dale Holmes wrote:

> How about "Anyone who makes the argument today that any single technology is
> appropriate for everyone is stupid!"???
>
> Wireless is cool, and has many applications, but not everybody needs it.
> There are many situations where it would be impractical or simply
> inappropriate.
>
> I know it is all in good fun, but I am not sure that it benefits anybody to
> have NPA members practice justifying claims that are simply ludicrous. Why
> not investigate the top 5 most unexpected wireless success scenarios, or
> something like that, if you simply want to get people excited about learning
> new technologies?
>
> Sorry for the overwhelming negativity, but it *is* Monday...
>
> Dale
> [=`)
>
> >From: Priscilla Oppenheimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: RE: Wireless LANS
> >Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:33:33 -0800
> >
> >At 11:56 AM 10/30/00, Stanfield Hilman B (Brad) CONT NNSY wrote:
> >>Three words...
> >>
> >>SECURITY - SECURITY - SECURITY
> >
> >Three words:
> >
> >ENCRYPTION, ENCRYPTION, ENCRYPTION &;-)
> >
> >How many of us use encryption on wired LANs? Probably not many. But
> >everyone seems to use encryption on wireless LANs, at least 802.11
> >wireless, which is what I'm familiar with... So that seems like an
> >advantage, not a disadvantage.
> >
> >The disadvantages I can think of for wireless are:
> >
> >1. It's pretty slow (< 11 Mbps shared bandwidth)
> >2. Mobile wireless is fraught with issues. How do you get a new IP address
> >when you move from subnet to subnet? (Of course, that's not too
> >straightforward on wired either, come to think of it.)
> >
> >Priscilla
> >

> >>************************************************************************
> >>Brad Stanfield
> >>Network/Integration Engineer
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>Government Micro Resources
> >>  Network Operations Control Center
> >>Norfolk Naval Shipyard
> >>Bldg 33 NAVSEA NCOE
> >>757-393-9526
> >>1-800-626-6622

begin:vcard
n:Linehan;Michael
tel;fax:612-888-1355
tel;work:612-888-1501
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cadcamsys.com
org:CAD/CAM Engineering Systems;Technical Support
adr:;;10850 Nesbitt Ave S;Bloomington;MN;55437;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Systems Engineer
note:Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of CAD/CAM Engineering Systems
fn:Michael Linehan
end:vcard