Here is a link with some more info on it for Win2000 (also applicable to
Win98/ME) about this http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/network/tcpip2k.asp

If a Microsoft TCP/IP client is installed and set to dynamically obtain
TCP/IP protocol configuration information from a DHCP server (instead of
being manually configured with an IP address and other parameters), the DHCP
client service is engaged each time the computer is restarted. The DHCP
client service now uses a two-step process to configure the client with an
IP address and other configuration information. When the client is
installed, it attempts to locate a DHCP server and obtain a configuration
from it. Many TCP/IP networks use DHCP servers that are administratively
configured to hand out information to clients on the network. If this
attempt to locate a DHCP server fails, the Windows 2000 DHCP client
autoconfigures its stack with a selected IP address from the IANA-reserved
class B network 169.254.0.0 with the subnet mask 255.255.0.09 . The DHCP
client tests (using a gratuitous ARP) to make sure that the IP address that
it has chosen is not already in use. If it is in use, it selects another IP
address (it does this for up to 10 addresses). Once the DHCP client has
selected an address that is verifiably not in use, it configures the
interface with this address. It continues to check for a DHCP server in the
background every 5 minutes. If a DHCP server is found, the autoconfiguration
information is abandoned, and the configuration offered by the DHCP server
is used instead. This autoconfiguration feature is known as Automatic
Private IP Addressing (APIPA) and allows single subnet home office or small
office networks to use TCP/IP without static configuration or the
administration of a DHCP server.