It does not belong to Microsoft.  It belongs to USC.  Go to

http://www.arin.net/whois/index.html

and type in 169.254 and hit enter.

Lowell E. Sharrah
SBC-DataComm
517-241-7059 wk
517-360-0481 pgr
517-930-1993 cell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "Kathy Miihalisko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/05/01 02:46PM >>>
Saswata,

Very interesting, took a cue from Chuck and attached the following, does any
of this look familiar?

WHAT MICROSOFT SAYS:

For a device running Windows CE 3.0, if this attempt to locate a DHCP server
fails, the DHCP client will auto configure the stack with a selected IP
address from the Microsoft-reserved class B network 169.254.0.0 with the
subnet mask 255.255.0.0. This process is called Automatic IP (Auto IP). Auto
IP is enabled by default. To disable Auto IP, update the AutoCfg registry
key. The DHCP client will test, using a gratuitous ARP, to be sure that the
IP address the client has chosen is not already in use. If the address is in
use, the client selects another IP address. The client repeats this
selection process for up to ten addresses. Once the DHCP client has selected
an address that is verifiably not in use, the client configures the
interface with this address. The client continues to check for a DHCP server
in the background every 5 minutes, or according to the interval specified by
the AutoInterval registry key. If a DHCP server is found, the auto
configuration information is abandoned and the configuration offered by the
DHCP server is used instead.
Note   If the Windows CE client determines that a DHCP server is available,
Windows CE checks if the IP address offered by the server is on the same
subnet. If the address is on the same subnet, Windows CE requests that it
use the automatically configured IP address. This feature prevents
application sessions from being stopped unnecessarily.

AND WHAT IANA SAYS:

IP block lookup for 169.254.0.0
whois -h whois.arin.net 169.254.0.0

Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) (NETBLK-LINKLOCAL)
   For use with Link Local Networks
   Information Sciences Institute
   University of Southern California
   4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330