Though I cannot troubleshoot your problem, a couple ideas come to mind that
might help you troubleshoot your problem.

Do you know about Microsoft Automatic Private IP Addressing? It's different
than the rest of the world's private addressing per RFC 1918 (10, 172.16,
192.168, etc.) Microsoft defines a set of addresses for private LANs not
connected to the Internet in the 169.254.0.1 - 169.254.255.254 range.

When a computer fails to get a legitimate address from a DHCP server it
often ends up with a 169.254.x.x address. I have especially seen this with
Macintoshes.

Adding the router to your config may have made it impossible for the
clients to reach the DHCP server. A router does not forward DHCP broadcast
requests unless you tell it to with the "ip forward-protocol udp 67" global
command and "ip helper-address" interface command.

Priscilla