My thoughts were this:
If I pay for everything myself, then the employer should be ready to
provide a pay raise immediately, up to $120k.
If they pay for everything (lab attempts, classes, lab equipment that I
get to keep), then I can see staying on for an additional 6 months at
the current pay rate.  This would make up for the money laid out for
everything, considering the pay raise for me would be about $30k.
But, quite frankly, I don't see any company laying out cash like that
for equipment that they aren't going to use.  And negotiating a raise
like that seems very difficult.

Jim