>  >This is obviously an opinionated subject but, in mine, the reason
>>Cisco equipment is relatively expensive is not necessarily because of
>>it's performance. The strongest argument for Cisco kit in any bid
>>I've seen is the level of support (i.e. the TAC).
>>   There are plently of other vendors who have equivalent products that
>>are widely regarded as faster, more stable and cheaper than Cisco kit
>>but when the chips (and your network) are down, try getting someone
>>at Lucent/Juniper/Foundry to pick up your case within a few minutes
>>and be on the phone to you and connected to your equipment to
>>troubleshoot until that problem is fixed.
>>   In short, if you have Cisco kit, get a contract! It's worth every
>>penny.
>
>Well, given that I do support for Juniper I'm afraid I have to differ with
>you.  We take very good care of our customers.  I'm sure we provide the
>same level of service, if not higher, than any other vender.

I've always been amused at the Cisco theory (on which they seem to be
relaxing) that a CCIE, in particular, needs to be expert in
everything, yet the TAC staff are divided into six or so specialty
areas.

At least when you call Juniper, there's no danger about your being
shunted to an SNA or desktop expert in lieu of someone who deals with
carrier-class routing.  Again, one of the counterarguments to
canonizing a company because it offers end to end solutions.

SMB and carrier support requirements are very different.  Even large
enterprises often have different needs.