At 05:58 AM 3/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>First, thanks for all of your comments.  All were very helpful.
>
>Next, obviously I wasn't very clear in my previous message.  I did not
>mention that both router redundancy and FR redundancy are important to the
>company I currently work for.  And, we currently have one router already in
>place as our primary FR router.  The 3640 I propose in my earlier message is
>an extra in the event the other 'box' dies.  While it is more likely that an
>outage would result from the provider I would like to cover all bases
>possible on the 'inside of the smartjack'.

Thanks for the clarification; it helped.  Personally, I would not think
that the
probability of an interface card failure is more or less likely than the
failure of
any other router module.  I would not, for that reason, go to additional
interfaces.

Again, I strongly recommend looking at alternate transmission alternatives.
If some applications are far more critical than others, and/or degraded
performance
is better than no performance, there still can be a role for dial or ISDN
backup.
Conceivably, wireless service over dial would be a low-speed option with
minimal overlap with FR equipment.  CATV is probably a better option, unless
your telco offers diverse local loops.

There are creative options here.  I do see an increasing number of office parks
and multi-tenant buildings being connected to diverse SONET rings, with a
multiplexer or switch at the site, to drop appropriate bandwidth to individual
customers.  I've also seen cooperation between organizations in a downtown
area, where they run private fiber through utility tunnels between their
buildings
(each serviced by a different CO) and provide mutual backup.