It makes perfect sense.  Let me rephrase the rules and we'll see if that
clears up the issue.

If you have no loopback interfaces configured, the router ID will be
the highest IP address on an active interface.

If you have a single loopback address configured, the router ID will
take that IP address regardless of whether or not it is higher or lower
than other active IP addresses on the router.

If you have multiple loopback interfaces configured, the router ID will
be the highest IP address on any loopback interface.

>>> "Oleg Mazurov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4/6/01 8:50:30 AM >>>
> The latter is wrong. The order of selection is:
>
> 1. Numerically highest IP addresss on a loopback interface, when
> there are multiple loopback addresses.
>
> 2. IP address on the loopback address when only a single loopback is
defined.

> 3. Numerically highest IP address on an active physical (or logical
other than
>     loopback address)--active as in no shutdown

I have a strong feeling that p.2 doesn't make any sense.

/felis