"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> >>  >  > The latter is wrong. The order of selection is:
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  1. Numerically highest IP addresss on a loopback interface, when
> >>  >>  there are multiple loopback addresses.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  2. IP address on the loopback address when only a single loopback
> >>  >>is defined.
> >>  >>
> >>  >>  3. Numerically highest IP address on an active physical (or
> >>  >>logical other than
> >>  >>      loopback address)--active as in no shutdown
> >>  >
> >>  >I have a strong feeling that p.2 doesn't make any sense.
> >>
> >>  Point 2 should read "on the loopback interface"  Is that your concern?
> >>

> >When only a single loopback interface is defined, it's address is the
> >highest of available loopback addresses, right?
> >
> >BTW, p.1 is wrong for ciscos. When multiple IP addresses are defined on
> >a loopback interface, OSPF takes only primary address of it and ignores
> >the secondaries.
>
> Who said anything about secondary addresses?

I thought you did. Since it's highly possible that the version of
English language I studied at school is different from yours, we just
simply don't understand each other. However, since you newer know who
your reader is, stating the rules as short as possible is always a good
idea. In this particular case I would say "RID is numerically highest
addresss on a loopback interface, if there are any loopbacks, and
numerically highest address on an active physical or subinterface
otherwise".

BTW, if we are still talking about ciscos, the above statement is true
only for the takeoff situation. At flight you can add/delete loopbacks,
this won't change the RID. Unfortunately, I don't have enough spares to
check what happens if you delete the RID-defining loopback on the
router, then create a RID-defining loopback with the same address on the
other router and then launch OSPF on it.

/felis