>I thought you did. Since it's highly possible that the version of
>English language I studied at school is different from yours, we just
>simply don't understand each other. However, since you newer know who
>your reader is, stating the rules as short as possible is always a good
>idea. In this particular case I would say "RID is numerically highest
>addresss on a loopback interface, if there are any loopbacks, and
>numerically highest address on an active physical or subinterface
>otherwise".

Well stated.

>BTW, if we are still talking about ciscos, the above statement is true
>only for the takeoff situation. At flight you can add/delete loopbacks,
>this won't change the RID. Unfortunately, I don't have enough spares to
>check what happens if you delete the RID-defining loopback on the
>router, then create a RID-defining loopback with the same address on the
>other router and then launch OSPF on it.

Historically, at least when I set up scenarios in around IOS 11.1,
things break.  OSPF will refuse to create a neighbor relationship
with another router with the same router ID. In the scenario you
describe, until you restart OSPF on the first router, the router ID
will persist.

I'm in the process of working with a new virtual lab as well as
CertificationZone, and duplicate router ID, I'm sure will be in some
of the troubleshooting scenarios.