No offense taken.  As a past president and charter member of
MCPofA, I'm prejudiced and proud (BRING BACK THE 50'S!).

Prof. Tom Lisa, CCAI
Community College of Southern Nevada
Cisco Regional Networking Academy
Just kidding.  :)

Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

  Ooops. No offence meant to the Microsoft Certified Professionals! ;-)
  guess I'm showing my age. In my day, MCP meant male chauvinist pig.
  It's
  such a rude phrase that I abbreviate it. But it does apply, so I
  still use
  it (just abbreviated.)

  Priscilla

  At 02:10 PM 9/5/01, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
  >When I started in the industry in 1980, I would say that about 5% of
  the
  >men I encountered were MCPs. I expected that to change, but it
  didn't. In
  >2001, I would say that still about 5% of the men I work with are
  MCPs. They
  >are prejudiced against women. The word comes from pre and judge.
  They pre
  >judge me and make assumptions that I'm not technical. Proving them
  wrong
  >doesn't work in some cases. Some of them continue to judge me based
  on body
  >parts rather than technical skills, and they don't listen to me. If
  they
  >don't listen, I can't prove them wrong. Oh, well. These days I just
  ignore
  >the MCPs and move on. ;-)
  >
  >At least it's only 5%. In the 1950s it would have been much worse,
  and it
  >sounds like it's still worse in some parts of the world. I think it
  will
  >change, at least to the point that the MCPs are a very small
  majority.
  >(Five percent may be a constant. ;-)
  >
  >Certifications are definitely a good way to avoid some of the
  pre-judging.
  >Go for it, Eve! Good luck to you.
  >
  >Priscilla
  >

  >At 12:35 PM 9/5/01, Steve Smith wrote:
  > >Well Eve, the glass ceiling and where a woman's place stigma is
  very
  > >prevalent in big established companies. I have female friends that
  work
  > >in the "corporate IT world" and no matter where they go it's all
  the
  > >same. Some not as bad as others but the old dogs from the IBM
  error just
  > >can except that a woman can do networking just as good if not
  better
  > >then a lot of men. One of them even told her they could not
  promote her
  > >because it would mean dealing with a lot of Japanese and Chinese
  > >clients, and in business that dog will not hunt with these groups
  so
  > >they would have to promote a man.
  > >
  > >In the integrator and ASP/ISP/.com world I have found women are
  greatly
  > >appreciated. We hired a female engineer and she fit like a glove.
  Every
  > >single guy from the help desk to the CEO has the utmost respect
  for her
  > >and is never shy to go to her and ask a Q if they think she may
  know.

  > >Take your test, know your stuff, show your worth.

  Priscilla Oppenheimer
  http://www.priscilla.com
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]