When I was hired at a law firm as Manager, Voice/Data Systems, several
lawyers thought of me as the "head word processor".  Two of the previous
three individuals that held the position of Manager, Systems (data only)
were women who came up through the ranks and were in Word Processing
beforehand.  One lawyer I remember got quite upset when I wouldn't update
his resume.  I told him I'd pass it on to WordPro.  That was met with quite
a fury...  Simply put, I had other things to do.  I had a frame relay
network to get up and going, I had two PBXs that required major Y2K
upgrades, I had a wiring closet that was a complete nightmare and needed to
be cleaned up, and had renovations of a remote location that had to be
completed.  And that's just Monday's tasks...

Once I hung a few certificates on my office wall, attitudes towards me
changed quite quickly.  I was especially fond of my "Voice Engineering and
Design" course certificate.  Likely it was a combination of what I hung on
my wall that gave me credibility, but it also was the fact that I had a
spine.  Just because someone went on a tirade wasn't a reason for me to drop
my responsibilities and take on the task that was better done by someone
else.  Lawyers started taking me more seriously and stopped going behind my
back when they needed something done by Systems.

Like Priscilla said, just ignore MCPs and move on.

  -- Leigh Anne