All,

        I've had good luck blocking access by denying all traffic to the IP
ranges of the login servers for those services.  Currently I block all
traffic to:

AOL IM
152.163.0.0 /16   255.255.0.0
205.188.0.0     /16
64.12.0.0   /16

MSN Messenger
64.4.0.0    /18  255.255.192.0

Yahoo Messenger
216.136.224.0 /22  255.255.252.0

This works currently.  You might want to keep all 3 installed you your work
PC, and check them once a week.  If one starts working, they must have added
another network.  Open a DOS window, and do a 'netstat'.  Look for the
connection to login server, most likely will mention the company in the DNS
name.  Mine looked like this:
TCP    superdave:1530         msgr-ns56.msgr.hotmail.com:1863  ESTABLISHED

        If you then do a netstat -n, you'll get the address rather than the
DNS name.  Then look up that address in www.arin.net in the WHOIS utility.
That will give you the block of addresses.  Add that block of addresses, and
you'll be blocking them all once again.

Chuck

P.S.  Blocking MSN will also block Hotmail access, you you kill 2 birds with
1 stone!