>The messages are usually smaller than e-mail.  And
> no they aren't insecure (well besides the gaping hole AIM just patched).
> stateful firewall or CBAC can stop session hijacking.

It is the statement like this that makes me almost fall off my chair.  What
planet
are you coming from?  What make you think that these IM is secured
(excluding
the gapping hole in AIM).  Remember, you have to connect the client to an
external IM server, the information is traveling in "clear text" including
your
username and password. What makes you think that these IM servers are
secure?  Furthermore, your communication can be monitored by a third party.
CBAC or stateful Firewall can not prevent this because your session is being
monitored on the IM servers.  There is nothing that your firewall can do.
If
hackers successfully hack the IM servers, consider your conversation
available
to everybody else.

The best way to secure communication is running IM over Secure Socket Layer
(SSL).  I've been using jabber over SSL for a few months now and it is
working great.  You want something secure, build your own jabber server, run
the
service over SSL and have your buddies to connect to your jabber IM server
for
secure communication.  Jabber server is a freeware available on Linux
platform.