I suppose it comes down to they type of company/employees. I'm more used to
companies that leave things fairly open for employees, and demand (rather
than expect) that the employee be responsible with it.
Employees will understand that monitoring needs to be done at times and
offenders be dealt with.
"Firm and fair" sometimes works better than "beat me if you can". Not always
though, so admittedly it's horses for courses.

Gaz

""Mike Sweeney""  wrote in message
> Let me put something into perspective here. It was said earlier about why
> give access then block it. Why indeed... the why is for BUSINESS reasons..
> not day trading, not stock tickers, not chatting for hours(documented)
with
> friends at the expense of work, viruses coming in on Hotmail attachments
> that bypass the clamped down exchange server and so on.
>
> The internet is given to employees for business reasons with the
expectation
> that the employee will be responsible with it. Will there be personal
use..
> of course.. just like the phone. Why limit certain things? gee.. the
company
> pays for a T1, they have 4,000 users, 100 decide to watch a Victoria
Secret