I can't imagine the problem with Messenger apps.  I feel that instant
communication can be handy at times.  Sometimes I hate waiting for an e-mail
response, and a messenger service fits that niche nicely.  And no, they
don't waste bandwidth.  The messages are usually smaller than e-mail.  And
no they aren't insecure (well besides the gaping hole AIM just patched).  A
stateful firewall or CBAC can stop session hijacking.

I don't use instant messaging at all (except for e-bay alerts and traffic
updates) but I see huge potential for IM and I bet that messaging will only
get more ubiquitous as the years go by.  So try and live with it instaed of
fighting it all the time.
--

RFC 1149 Compliant.