Here is a clip from the newest TechRepublic newsletter. In order to read the
whole article, I think you need to be registered. But it is a decent site so
it might be worth it to you.

::::article starts here:::
Instant messaging threatens enterprise security

It’s no surprise that instant messaging (IM) is gaining in popularity.
The often-free communication feature lets people interact instantly, make
decisions on the fly, and provide immediate contact, as opposed to the
delays that can occur when using e-mail.

(this is the point I was trying to make about personal use vs. corporation
use. Different rules apply for each)

But what may be surprising, especially to today’s IT leaders, are the
serious security issues posed by IM usage. Add that to the fact that most IM
applications are used without corporate IT’s knowledge or approval,
and it’s not a pretty picture for network security.

:::article continues on:::

http://www.techrepublic.com/article_guest.jhtmlid=r00520011218sss01.htm&fromtm=e101-3