It's probably insufficient to refer to the "source" of igrp without
referring to the "source" for allegedly open standards terminology used to
misdescribe routing protocols such as "distance vector" (hint: NOT cisco . .
.). Then again, when referring to the "source" for IGRP, depending upon the
aspect of the technology you are referring to, better choices to depict as
the "source" of IGRP might include JJ Garcia-Luna-Aceves, Chuck Hedrick or
Len Bosack.

>From Hedrick's report:

This paper really should show Len Bosack of cisco Systems as co-author, and
possibly should also list an

unidentified lawyer at Townsend and Townsend. Most of the ideas behind IGRP
are Len's.

Anyway, none of them work for Cisco (and at least one was kicked out with
extreme prejudice).

While Cisco has a lot of say over what IGRP is and is not, they have no
authority to say what entities are or are not in the set of all objects
defined as "distance vector routing protocols," precisely because they DO
sell routing products.

Granting them that authority is almost as inimical to a better understanding
of the subject matter as letting them define the structure & content of OSI
layers.