Reposting what I sent earlier. Never saw it posted. One more tidbit:

A link-state protocol runs the shortest path first (Dijkstra) algorithm.
(EIGRP, on the other hand, develops a routing table using distance-vector
info.)

For more info on the shortest path first algorithm, see this URL. Near the
bottom, be sure to check out the animation. Very cool.

http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/~morris/Year2/PLDS210/dijkstra.html

Priscilla

  At 06:42 PM 5/13/02, Rick wrote:
>Priscilla,
>I hate to differ with you on this Hybrid or not but the source says
>it is considered a Hybrid routing Protocol. check the link for yourself
>http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/en_igrp.htm

Nope, the source is wrong too. I know Cisco likes to use that silly term
and I suppose they can if they want to. But it's misleading. EIGRP does not
have link-state behavior. Did you look up what that actually means on
Google? You'll find lots of information on the actual computer-science
meaning for the term. It's pretty cool.

You have to remember that Cisco came out with EIGRP during a time of
political/marketing battles about which was better, distance-vector versus
link-state. That might explain their silly "hybrid" thing, but it's
technically not accurate and the more advanced exams won't make you know it
(hopefully)!

>I myself am not a fan Lammle, but on this one he is right

No, he's not. Although I know he is just quoting some Cisco material, so
what can you expect?

>  and you are wrong
>and YES I said you are wrong!

Wouldn't be the first time, but I'm not wrong in this case.

>EIGRP is as much Link-State as it is Distance
>Vector.

Nonsense. In what way is it link-state? Try to actually convince me! ;-)

Priscilla

>Rick
>
>""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > At 04:13 PM 5/13/02, Mike Mandulak wrote:
> > >Lammle refers to EIGRP as being a Hybrid of distance-vector and link
>state.
> >
> > That's wrong. EIGRP is not link-state in any way. EIGRP calculates a flat
> > routing table that lists networks, distance, and next hop (distance
> > vectors). If the list contains multiple entries for a destination
(because
> > there are multiple ways to reach the destination), the entries are sorted
> > by metric and the one with the lowest metric is selected. This is very
> > different than how a link-state protocol functions.
> >
> > A link-state routing protocol creates a mathematical graph that depicts
>the
> > network. A link-state protocol implements a sophisticated process, called
> > the Dijkstra algorithm, to determine the shortest path to all points in
>the
> > graph when the nodes and links in the graph are known. Link-state has a
> > specific meaning to computer scientists. You'll find a lot of good stuff
> > about it if you search with Google. A lot of it is not related to routing
> > protocols.
> >
> > EIGRP does have some features that make it different from other
> > distance-vector protocols. Although EIGRP still sends vectors with
>distance
> > information, the updates are non-periodic, partial, and bounded.
> > Non-periodic means that updates are sent only when a metric changes
rather
> > than at regular intervals. Partial means that updates include only routes
> > that have changed, not every entry in the routing table. Bounded means
>that
> > updates are sent only to affected routers. These behaviors mean that
EIGRP
> > uses very little bandwidth.
> >
> > EIGRP also determines a feasible successor, which other distance-vector
> > protocols don't do. Its complex metric is also a feature not found in
many
> > other distance-vector algorithms, (except IGRP of course).
> >
> > Please do not send messages to me directly, especially not to quote
Lammle
> > CCNA fluff.
> >
> > Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer