STP is really not an issue in the kind of application where gigastack makes
sense. For example, take an office of 400 users plus servers and printers,
occupying a contiguous space. Basic file and print sharing plus an internet
connection. Rather than buy a honking 65xx, you throw in a few 3550-48's and
gigastack them. The electronics work in conjunction with the switch OS to
create a half duplex bus between the switches. ( The interesting thing is
that electronics are apparently smart enough to determine if there are only
two devices stacked, in which case the bus is full duplex. )

That's the question about gigastack - whether the entire stack is treated as
one switch, the way it is for management purposes, or if standard STP
applies. We had a thread on this a few weeks ago, but none of us could find
an answer in the Cisco documentation.  that's why I asked Steven ( who asked
Cisco ) what Cisco had to say about spanning tree over a gigastack setup.
I'm willing to bet that in a gigastack situation, that STP is disabled (
where it would be enabled if you stacked the switches using the 10/100
ports, or using regular gbics and daisy chaining the gig ports. ) But I
can't find documentation that clarifies.

This does give me some food for thought. I'm working with a very large
university on a switch design. I am pretty sure that they have several
instances where their diameter is greater than seven ( building to building
to building to core ). However, being the sophisticates they are, I am
certain they are running spanning tree per vlan, and in that case the tree
would go back only to the core, and so would have a diameter no greater than
4 in any place I can see from their setup.

this seems to be another one of the great discussions that make this group
valuable.

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> At 03:51 PM 5/19/02, Chuck wrote:
> >were the people you asked able to address the max STP diameter of 7 issue
> >then?
>
> Maybe they blew off the max STP diameter of 7 issue. ;-) It is just a
> recommendation. Even IEEE 802.1D just uses that word (recommendation).
> There's nothing in the protocol that would stop you from having a larger
> network, is there? The Max Age timer defaults to 20 seconds, so that
> doesn't limit you to 7 hops.
>
> Also, with gigaswitch, do all those 9 switches remain in the spanning
tree?
> I don't know anything about gigaswitch, as you can probably tell, but I
> would think the 7 limit would only apply to the logical topology, if it
> applies at all.
>
> Priscilla
>

> >""Steven A. Ridder""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I asked Cisco, and STP treats the stack as separate switches.
> > >

> > > ""Chuck""  wrote in message
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> documentation

> >up
> >switch
> >can