Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> The IEEE annex that covered full-duplex (802.3x) probably
> didn't mention
> slot time. That annex was rolled into the 802.3 2000 edition,
> however,
> which of course does cover slot time since it still covers
> CSMA/CD,
> repeaters, etc. (in addition to full-duplex operation.)

Thanks, I was beginning to think I had bad info on slot time as well. It
turns out you were saying that all devices that use CSMA/CD (i.e.
multiaccess), not all Ethernet devices, use the slot time, which is how I
understood it in the first place, I just misunderstood what you were saying :(

> Well, now we are getting into EE talk. ;-) Everything is analog
> at some
> level, isn't it? But an Ethernet repeater works on a Manchester
> encoded
> digital signal. (MLT-3 encoding for 100 Mbps). I think your
> second
> statement is closest to the truth (that the repeater converts
> the analog
> signal into a digital representation and creates a new analog
> signal). But
> I don't know the exact details.

Great, that makes perfect sense :) There is that Manchester encoding again.
Do you know where I can find good documentation on it?

> I'm sorry I was so punchy in the previous message.

No problem Priscilla :) You guys (and gals) actually cleared up a lot of old
misconceptions in this whole long list of stuff, which is great considering
that documents on the dirty inner workings of Ethernet are hard to find
unless you happen to be an IEEE member. :P