you know, it suddenly occurs to me that I have been barking up the wrong
[spanning] tree, so to speak.

Let me guess - there is no maximum STP diameter in actuality because there
is mechanism for enforcing a max diameter. The BPDU's apparently contain a
field which shows distance from the root, and this value is incremented each
time it crosses a bridge. If that field is the root path cost field, then
this is a four byte value and that means a spanning tree could theoretically
have a max distance from the root of  64000 or so?

It's just that the recommendation in terms of "best practice" is diameter of
7.

thanks to Marty A. for providing the link that was the spike that finally
began to sink through this thick head.

""Chuck""  wrote in message
> [...]
> occupying a contiguous space. Basic file and print sharing plus an
internet
> connection. Rather than buy a honking 65xx, you throw in a few 3550-48's
and
> gigastack them. The electronics work in conjunction with the switch OS to
> create a half duplex bus between the switches. ( The interesting thing is
> that electronics are apparently smart enough to determine if there are
only
> two devices stacked, in which case the bus is full duplex. )
>
> That's the question about gigastack - whether the entire stack is treated
as
> one switch, the way it is for management purposes, or if standard STP
> applies. We had a thread on this a few weeks ago, but none of us could
find
> an answer in the Cisco documentation.  that's why I asked Steven ( who
asked
> Cisco ) what Cisco had to say about spanning tree over a gigastack setup.
> I'm willing to bet that in a gigastack situation, that STP is disabled (
> where it would be enabled if you stacked the switches using the 10/100
> ports, or using regular gbics and daisy chaining the gig ports. ) But I
> can't find documentation that clarifies.
>
> This does give me some food for thought. I'm working with a very large
> university on a switch design. I am pretty sure that they have several
> instances where their diameter is greater than seven ( building to
building
> to building to core ). However, being the sophisticates they are, I am
> certain they are running spanning tree per vlan, and in that case the tree
> would go back only to the core, and so would have a diameter no greater
than
> 4 in any place I can see from their setup.
>
> this seems to be another one of the great discussions that make this group
> valuable.
>

> ""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> > At 03:51 PM 5/19/02, Chuck wrote:
> > >were the people you asked able to address the max STP diameter of 7
issue
> > >then?
> >
> > Maybe they blew off the max STP diameter of 7 issue. ;-) It is just a
> > recommendation. Even IEEE 802.1D just uses that word (recommendation).
> > There's nothing in the protocol that would stop you from having a larger
> > network, is there? The Max Age timer defaults to 20 seconds, so that
> > doesn't limit you to 7 hops.
> >
> > Also, with gigaswitch, do all those 9 switches remain in the spanning
> tree?
> > I don't know anything about gigaswitch, as you can probably tell, but I
> > would think the 7 limit would only apply to the logical topology, if it
> > applies at all.
> >
> > Priscilla
> >

> > >""Steven A. Ridder""  wrote in message
> > >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Ethernet's
> frame
> can
> > >be