I just got a reply back from the engineer at Cisco that RMAed the
PIX.  Yesterday he didn't know of any issues but he must have asked some
peers as I got a email today verifying that I'm not yet totally off me
rocker.

  Here is what info I received:

It is a known issue.  I will issue another RMA for you and power supply.
However, I will
mark them as "New from Manufacturing" to ensure that you get the proper
pix.

Apparently, there was a handfull of Pix that came out from our
manufacturing with a design
flaw. We have modified both the power connector on the 501, and
depending on how old the
power supply is, we also modified the connector on it as well.
Considering the first RMA
didn't fix the
problem, I would switch out both the power supply and box with brand new
ones just to be
safe.

Apparently an extreemly few customers actually run into this issue,
hence no Field Notice
was generated.

  I was "lucky enough to get two!!!!  You may be another one of the
"extremely few" ;)

  Dave

--
David Madland
CCIE# 2016

"You don't make the poor richer by making the rich poorer." --Winston
Churchill