""Carroll Kong""  wrote in message
> You are correct.  For most people, I think acquiring a PhD is more
> resources and time consumed than becoming a CCIE.  Now, not to
> belittle the CCIE, it is still probably one of the hardest lab
> examinations in the IT field.  However, all in all, for most people,
> seems like the PhD would be harder.  The issues on the CCIE,
> ultimately is all in the router, all within Cisco's website.  There
> is no rocket science.  Such a finite state of material to study
> cannot possibly compare to the type of research of data for a PhD.
> While the thinking level during the exam can be complex, does not
> compare to some of the things I ran into in college.  It is more
> speed oriented and "have you tried all the combinations" and do you
> know the "common gotchas."
>
> Sorry guys, I cut a bit out on everyone's responses to stay more
> focused.  While I do not have a PhD, just from reading it and seeing
> others go for it, and realizing how many YEARS it takes to get it, I
> agree, acquiring a PhD is probably much harder than acquiring the
> CCIE.  On average, a fairly bright guy can get the CCIE within a
> year.  If even more motivated, probably a few months (ignoring other
> priorities and issues).  Try that with a PhD.
>
> > Much like John mentions, comparing the two is like comparing apples
> > and oranges.  The material covered in each area is very different.
> > PhD is much more theory oriented and there's a lot more of the
> "why"
> > types
> > of thinking.

I would just like to reiterate that the graduate degree (master's or PhD)
provides you a whole lot more flexibility than the CCIE ever can.  With a
graduate degree, you can branch out far and beyond network engineering.

To illustrate, take a look at Cisco's top management.  You will find nary a
one who carries a CCIE.  On the other hand, you will find quite a few MBA's
(John Chambers MBA- Indiana, Howard Charney - MBA Santa Clara, Keith
Goodwin - MBA Wayne State, Sue Bostrom MBA Stanford, Richard Justice - MBA
Stanford, Charles Giancarlo - MBA Harvard, Mike Volpi - MBA Stanford, ) ,
some MS degrees (Mario Mazzola, Manny Rivelo), and a law degree (Dan
Scheinman, JD - Duke).  And in fact, every single member of Cisco's top
management holds a bachelor's.   Supposedly the CCIE holds the most sway
within Cisco itself (of course), but even Cisco apparently doesn't give it
much credence if you ever want to enter top management.

So, again, it really all depends on what you want.  If you're perfectly cool
with slinging boxes for the rest of your life, then by all means ditch
college and just get the CCIE.  But if you think you'll ever have any
ambitions for anything else, get that degree.

And, once again, I would reiterate that while you might be cool with
slinging boxes now, 20 years later who knows how you'll feel?  I constantly
run into a lot of old-timers who regret not having gotten their education
and are simply tired of taking orders from some 20-something manager.