Hi All

   I think the CCIE is a narrow focus as compared to a degree. What a person
does or would like to do with either will determine which is the better route
for that individual. It is going to be up to the individual and what he/she
is
looking to do in the future.

   You can get your CCIE but if you can't do the job your not going to get
the
100,000.00 year position. You can also get the BS or MS and work at Burger
World.

   The one problem I see is people with a CCIE are Network specific and to
change to another branch of IT you will most likely need to get another
cert. I
see someone with a BS or MS being much more mobile as far as crossing
departments if you will.

   I for example have been working in IT for 17 years. I have gone through
numerous departments over the years. I started as a programmer, then to
support
and Help Desk, then to Network Operations. Network Operations is where I want
to be. I don't have a Bachelors degree and don't want one. I have no
aspirations of being a CIO, etc. I want to be hands on andSecurityork
Secutity
consulting, that's what I enjoy doing.  So for me the CCIE is the next step.
see more value for me in the CISSP and CCIE certifications because I have
experience to back up my certs which gets me into positions I want. I can get
the Job done. There are however doors which will not open to me because I
don't
have the degree. Some Companies just won't even look at you if you don't have
the Degree. I'm ok with that, I just don't work for companies who want a
Degree
over ExperienceBeurocracieson't work well in their Beurocracies anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Sal DiStefano