Interesting question.  Some thoughts from someone that does have a PhD
in CS (dissertation in networking, a dozen or so publications, a handful
in IEEE journals).  I initially went into gradual school to teach and do
research, but after spending two summers during grad school as an intern
in industry, realized that I was much more interested in working in
industry than staying in academia.  When I completed my PhD, I took a
job in
industry.

Much like John mentions, comparing the two is like comparing apples
and oranges.  The material covered in each area is very different.  A
PhD is much more theory oriented and there's a lot more of the "why"
types
of thinking.  Obviously, this sort of questioning is needed and helps
lead
one to dissertation topics and an actual research question.  Besides the
initial reading list you get from your advisor, you're on your own to
find related research, develop your ideas, verify that your work is
unique,
and then get it published before someone else stumbles across the same
idea.
And note, there are several hoops one needs to go through to get a PhD,
and
failing any one of these can cause you to get booted from your program.
In order, these steps are:

1) pass your prelims which are a test of breadth of knowledge in all the
main areas in your subject area.  The way prelims where structured where
went to school, we had test and pass in 4 of 5 core areas (systems,
languages,
theory, algorithms, and architecture) and 4 non-core areas (networking
fell into
this space)

2) pass your comprehensives ("comps", test that you have detailed
knowledge in the area you intend to do research).  The format for comps
is often a series of probing verbal questions asked by each member of
your
comittee that you answer in real-time.

3) pass your proposal (this is where you propose the topic/question you
intend to research/solve.  Besides a verbal defense, this requires a
failry
extensive document be written which details the existing research space,
and how
your work will fit in, etc.)

4) do the research and write up your dissertation

5) defend your dissertation.  It's often easiest to prove your
dissertation is
worthy of a degree if you have many peer reviewed publications, so add
lots of publications to step 4 above.

I don't have a CCIE, so can't say for sure, but here's my take on doing
the exams up to and including the CCIE written.  Everyone gets the list
of
books to read, and if you know the information in these references,
you'll
pass the tests.  Note that with commercial study guides, practice labs,
practice tests, and courses geared specifically to pass these tests,
there's
plenty of external help available to help make it through the CCIE
written.
As far as I know, as long as your willing to pay, you can take the tests
over and
over again until you pass.   This aspect is not true when working on a
PhD.

The CCIE lab does seem to be a much more robust evaluation mechanism as
it appears to require much more "on your own" sort of preparation.

Using the framework above, the tests up through a CCIE written might
fall into
something like the "prelims".  But prelims cover a much wider range of
material.

One might be able to classify the CCIE lab sort of like the "comps" one
takes
in working towards a PhD.  I don't think I'd classify the CCIE lab as
equivalent
to a PhD as there's a lot more required in doing a PhD than knowing a
lot about
some specific area.

So which path should one take?  I think it depends.  Having a HS diploma
and
a CCIE most likely will not open doors for one to teach at a
univerisity.  On
the other hand, having a PhD doesn't necessarily mean one can design an
enterprise
let alone an ISP network.

I'd suggest balance.  Get a four year degree and supplement with a
CCNP.  Work
for a while.  Determine if it makes sense from a job/career perspective
to move
on to a MS/PhD or onto a CCIE, or neither, or both....