You are correct.  For most people, I think acquiring a PhD is more
resources and time consumed than becoming a CCIE.  Now, not to
belittle the CCIE, it is still probably one of the hardest lab
examinations in the IT field.  However, all in all, for most people,
seems like the PhD would be harder.  The issues on the CCIE,
ultimately is all in the router, all within Cisco's website.  There
is no rocket science.  Such a finite state of material to study
cannot possibly compare to the type of research of data for a PhD.
While the thinking level during the exam can be complex, does not
compare to some of the things I ran into in college.  It is more
speed oriented and "have you tried all the combinations" and do you
know the "common gotchas."

Sorry guys, I cut a bit out on everyone's responses to stay more
focused.  While I do not have a PhD, just from reading it and seeing
others go for it, and realizing how many YEARS it takes to get it, I
agree, acquiring a PhD is probably much harder than acquiring the
CCIE.  On average, a fairly bright guy can get the CCIE within a
year.  If even more motivated, probably a few months (ignoring other
priorities and issues).  Try that with a PhD.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-Carroll Kong