I have taken all of the classes listed below while in the engineering school
at University of Wisconsin.

I know that there was not one of them that demanded the attention to detail
and total commitment that was required to get my CCIE. I carried a 4.0
through almost all of those classes while barely cracking a book. I wish I
could have said the same about my CCIE. Then I wouldn't have had to ignore
my wife and son for the last year and a half.

I am not knocking a degree, because I feel it is as important if not more so
than my certification. But to say that the degree is tougher is not
necessarily true. It is comparing apples to oranges. The degree is almost
all book knowledge where if you can regurgitate the correct answer without
totally understanding it you pass. Try to pass the lab without a complete
understanding of the topics covered. But at the same time, the CCIE focuses
on a narrow range of topics where any good degree forces you to learn a wide
breadth of information.

Anyone who knocks either without having achieved them both is not doing
justice to the people who worked hard to achieve what they have done. I know
of engineers who said their CCIE was harder than their degree and vice
versa. So give everyone credit for what they have achieved and don't knock
them for what they haven't.

I hate to admit it but the smartest person I ever knew in my life only had a
sixth grade education and taught himself everything on his own after that.
He taught himself Calculus, Physics and a lot of advanced engineering
skills. He never had a diploma, degree or any certifications. But if I can
ever achieve one tenth of the knowledge that he had I would be happy. Titles
and letters after your name mean nothing, the only thing that matters is
what you can do, and that you never give up.