> >Uh, this does not follow.  How many CCIE's really really understand, say,
> >BGP or OSPF?  No, not just how to configure it, but how it really
actually
> >works.  Give you an example - I would be hard pressed to find a lot of
> >CCIE's who can explain to me how Dijkstra really works.  Some can, but I
> >would say that most, especially the newer CCIE's, cannot.   How many can
> >actually explain how a BGP RIB actually works?
>
> A Loc-RIB, an Adj-RIB-In, or an Adj-RIB-Out, as opposed to the RIB and
FIB?
> :-)

Very good.

But like I said, go to any recent CCIE and ask them the same thing.  I would
venture that the majority will not be able to answer.

> >Nobody's knocking anybody for anything.  I'm just merely presenting the
> >facts.  Out of all the companies in the world, the one with the most
respect
> >for the CCIE program is, surprise surprise, Cisco.  Yet if you look at
> >Cisco's top management, you'll find a lot of degrees, but no CCIE's
> >whatsoever.  Draw your own conclusion about what that means.
>

> What conclusions would you draw from the fact that CCIEs are quite
> rare among Cisco product developers and product managers?  Cisco, as
> opposed, say, to HP, historically has marketing executives at the
> top, not engineers. Other companies have other cultures.

Few if any companies have a culture of respecting technical certification
over formal education.  Does Microsoft fill its top ranks with MCSE's?  Does
Oracle fill its ranks with OCP's?