> I understand everything you said, and I agree that college coursework
should
> modernize, but I think you may be missing the point of a college
education.

> The point of a college education is not to prepare you to step into a job
> immediately.  That is not its purpose, and never has been - even for such
> 'professional' degrees like engineering and CS.  The purpose of the
college
> degree is to provide you with a a reservoir of general knowledge upon
which
> you can draw, as well as practice in life-skills such as problem-solving,
> critical thinking, and time-management.  In essence, you learn how to
learn.

In the abstract this is a nice thought and perhaps  how things should work.
In practice, university seemed to me to be mostly about learning how to
impress a bevy of preening mandarins who have long since lost any relevance
to the world at large.  By removing accountability, tenure enforces this
irrelevance.  There are some wonderful teachers and amazing researchers to
be sure, but they tend to be focused in disciplines which are very much
practical in nature such as medicine which are preparing students for real
world tasks.

The real reason that college programs are far behind the times
technologywise is not because of any noble liberal arts approach to
learning.  It is because the people on the cutting edge of technology are
working for companies that can remunerate them better than schools.  There
is no fundamental benefit to studying old technology over new outside of
inculcating some small sense of nostalgia for an age when you could almost
know everything about the field.  At issue is a lack of people qualified to
teach at the cutting edge.

>They hire him because he has proven in
> college to be a hard-worker who knows how to think critically.  This is
> these companies put such an emphasis on GPA - not because they actually
> think the subject matter has anything to do with the job, but because a
top
> GPA indicates a strong work ethic and a supple mind.

That is generous.  A high GPA indicates a strong work ethic and an ability
to coax the results that you want out of the system often by agreeing with a
prof whose theory you disagree with.  This is a warped form of Kuhnean
"puzzle-solving".  University does very little to encourage shifting
paradigms.  In my short academic career I watched scholars rail against
paradigm shifts because they invalidated their life's work.  Rather than
revising their disproven ideas they fought tooth and nail to preserve them.
Heaven help you if you contradict them.  Supple, capable minds merely
*survive* formal education they aren't produced or even nursed by it.

> To wit - look at the top management of any large company and notice how by
> and large everybody is a college graduate.  Look at Congress - everybody's
> graduate.  Clearly that means that there's something going on, and that
the
> degree isn't totally worthless.  In fact, consider the case of the most
> famous dropout of all - Bill Gates, who himself has chosen to fill the
> entire ranks of Microsoft's top management with college graduates.  Gates
> could have put whoever he wanted into those positions, so if the degree
> really wasn't valuable, don't you think Gates would have figured this out
by
> now?  If even Gates agrees, I would say that clearly there is something
> valuable about that degree.

I think you are committing 'post hoc ergo propter hoc'.  Gates values smart
people and as most smart people go through university it is moot whether it
is the diploma that is significant in getting them the job or their
intelligence that is more  important.

Though I do not have a degree, I most certainly have an education.  For me
the CCIE was an entry into a whole different realm of career possibilities.
Not once in any of my interviews was I looked at unfavourably for not having
completed my degree.  All of these tokens, be it degree or certification are
only for getting an interview.  If one presents poorly even an Ivy league
degree won't save you.  If one presents well, even a high school dropout has
a chance.

What is important to decide how to achieve one's goals is an honest
assessment of one's aptitudes and interests.  For instance, I prefer to
study independently.  As such, the certification process was allot more
fulfilling for me than university.  If I want to read Hawthorne or Thoreau I
grab a book from the shelf and read it.  I don't need any external
validation for that.  I think it is a terrible shame that we rely so much on
an arid pedagogy to teach us the truly important lessons of life.  Perhaps
this more than anything is to blame for the current atmosphere of corporate
malfeasance.  Our learning is done apart from moral context and apart
largely from the world in which we live and breathe.  Do whatever it takes
to maintain personal authenticity.  Trying to figure out your path
statistically by determining whether you have a better chance of getting a
job by doing a degree or getting a certification is leaving too much to
chance.  Figure out which suits you better and have confidence in it.

> Now, again, that's not to say that significant improvements can't be made
> the college education.  I agree that many college curriculas do need to be
> updated.  But I look askance at demands that colleges transform themselves
> into glorified vocational schools.   If all they're doing is teaching the
> technology du-jour, and neglecting the building of fundamental thinking
> skills, then I think the heart of what higher education is really all
about
> will be lost.

To reiterate, what is lost by using the most current paradigm?  Thinking
skills are independent of the subject matter so in this field you might as
well learn them in the context you will be using them.

Apologies for my longwindedness,

Geoff Zinderdine
CCIE #10410