""Jim Newton""  wrote in message
> I have taken all of the classes listed below while in the engineering
school
> at University of Wisconsin.
>
> I know that there was not one of them that demanded the attention to
detail
> and total commitment that was required to get my CCIE. I carried a 4.0
> through almost all of those classes while barely cracking a book. I wish I
> could have said the same about my CCIE. Then I wouldn't have had to ignore
> my wife and son for the last year and a half.
>
> I am not knocking a degree, because I feel it is as important if not more
so
> than my certification. But to say that the degree is tougher is not
> necessarily true. It is comparing apples to oranges. The degree is almost
> all book knowledge where if you can regurgitate the correct answer without
> totally understanding it you pass. Try to pass the lab without a complete
> understanding of the topics covered.

Uh, this does not follow.  How many CCIE's really really understand, say,
BGP or OSPF?  No, not just how to configure it, but how it really actually
works.  Give you an example - I would be hard pressed to find a lot of
CCIE's who can explain to me how Dijkstra really works.  Some can, but I
would say that most, especially the newer CCIE's, cannot.   How many can
actually explain how a BGP RIB actually works?   Heck, I would venture to
say that many of them have never even tried to read the relevant RFC's - and
if you've never read the RFC's, it's difficult to claim that you actually
understand how the technology really works.

Learning how to configure something is far far different from actually
understanding it.  A mechanic might be able to fix an engine, but a
mechanical engineer can actually design a new one.

>But at the same time, the CCIE focuses
> on a narrow range of topics where any good degree forces you to learn a
wide
> breadth of information.
>
> Anyone who knocks either without having achieved them both is not doing
> justice to the people who worked hard to achieve what they have done. I
know
> of engineers who said their CCIE was harder than their degree and vice
> versa. So give everyone credit for what they have achieved and don't knock
> them for what they haven't.

Nobody's knocking anybody for anything.  I'm just merely presenting the
facts.  Out of all the companies in the world, the one with the most respect
for the CCIE program is, surprise surprise, Cisco.  Yet if you look at
Cisco's top management, you'll find a lot of degrees, but no CCIE's
whatsoever.  Draw your own conclusion about what that means.

> I hate to admit it but the smartest person I ever knew in my life only had
> sixth grade education and taught himself everything on his own after that.
> He taught himself Calculus, Physics and a lot of advanced engineering
> skills. He never had a diploma, degree or any certifications. But if I can
> ever achieve one tenth of the knowledge that he had I would be happy.
Titles
> and letters after your name mean nothing, the only thing that matters is
> what you can do, and that you never give up.

It is absolutely true that, at the end of the day, knowledge and
determination are what ultimately counts.   But the origination of this
thread was to choose one or the other (the cert or the degree).