In mail.net.groupstudy.pro, you wrote:

>  I have been using EIGRP for our routing protocol for the last couple
years,
>  which is prettly great.  The controversal of selecting the routing
protocol
>  came up again recently.  I would like to have your opinion on EIGRP vs.
>  OSPF, which one is refered?  What's the weakness and advantage?  Thanks!

- OSPF is pretty much supported by all vendors nowadays.
- OSPF calculates a tree from the point of origin using Dijkstra's
  algorithm (SPF)
- OSPF is a link-state protocol, you get really fast convergence by tuning
  the timers
- All area 0 (ie. backbone) routers have a complete overview of the
  network
- Easy to deploy
- By default link-cost is calculated from the bandwidth of the link
- Only for IP
- Filtering on ABR/ASBR only, between areas preferably

- EIGRP, although the spec is available, only you usually find it on only
  brand Ci$co routers.
- EIGRP calculates it's view of the world using DUAL (Diffusing update
  algorithm)
- Router stores its neighbors routing tables and queries its neighbors if
  no specific route is found
- It's pretty much a distance-vector protocol with some features borrowed
  from link-state ones.
- Pretty easy to deploy
- Is bugwards compatible with IGRP
- Works with IP and IPX
- Easy to filter and aggregate, on any interface (ie you can do "areas"
  quite easily)
- Takes into account path reliability, loading, MTU, lowest bandwidth
  between destinations, total delay when calculating the best way of
  getting to the destination.
- Enterprise people tend to prefer EIGRP over others because it's easy to
  do ISDN backup with it

Most people would nowadays choose OSPF because their CIOs might want to
keep a second vendor option on the table. Service providers would probably
choose IS-IS (my favorite) or OSPF.

// kaj