In mail.net.groupstudy.pro, you wrote:

>  EIGRP is not an IETF standard. You said below that the spec if available,
>  but that's not true. Cisco has lots of documentaton on EIGRP but they have
>  not released a specification for it.

AFAIK there used to be another company who manufactured routers with an EIGRP
functionality (!) years ago. A detailed spec isn't available but the packet
format is available as are descriptions of the TLVs and the FSM.

>  The fact that EIGRP is not a standard means that it probably won't be able
>  to take advantage of new IETF work, or at least not as easily, and not
with
>  so much input from engineers around the world.

Yup. It's always been Cisco's very own special little friend. ;-)

>  By the way, EIGRP converges very quickly too. And it doesn't use load and
>  reliability in its metric by default. Also it passes MTU info around, but
>  MTU isn't part of the metric. In fact, figuring out exactly how a router
>  running EIGRP uses MTU is one of those things that you can't find a
>  specification on.

Uh, true. Minimum path MTU obtained from the link is not used for calculation
of the link metric. Some people (that I've seen) set K5 as MTU.

// kaj