Mike Momb wrote:

> To all,
>
> We recently replaced our Nortel switches and routers with Cisco
> 2980 switches and 6509 routers.  We have two buildings, 10
> floors each and a router in each building.  We have a
> combination of NT and Novell servers.   After replacing all
> this equipment, we have noticed that when we access files on
> the NT servers, the speed is acceptable.  When we access files
> on the Novell servers, it is very very slow.  Could the
> switches or routers be configured incorrectly for IPX.  Is
> there something that we can change.  On Cisco's web page it
> mentioned something about enabling ipx
> broadcast-fastswitching.   Any input or comments would be
> appreciated.

I doubt that ipx broadcast-fastswitching will help you unless you are using
an ipx helper-address. With ipx helper-address (just like ip helper-address)
you can tell a router to forward a broadcast, which it normally doesn't do.
This would be useful for some rare IPX application that sent broadcasts that
needed to reach the other side of the router. In typical IPX networks,
there's no such need. When there is a need, you can speed it up with the ipx
broadcast-fastswitching command.

You titled your message "10 half or 100 full." I think this was a Freudian
slip. I bet your problem is related to a full-duplex mismatch. Perhaps the
NICs in the NT servers negotiated correctly but the NICs in the Novell
servers did not and you have a mismatch.

With a mismatch, the full duplex side will send whenever it wants. The half
duplex will get upset if it sees the other side sending while it is also
sending and will backoff and retransmist, leaving behind a CRC-errored runt.
That side will reports a collision. The other side will report runts and CRC
errors.

So, look for lots of Ethernet errors when you do a show int or show port.

Also feel free to send us the output of various show commands and your
router config. There are some IPX gurus on this list.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com