if I understand what you're saying, I think its always been like that, cisco
hasn't changed it.

you're refering to the fact that the IOS switch don't let you change the
speed? I think thats strange also, the set based switch can allow you to
change speed, but after the IOS "upgrading" of switches they don't allow you
to change a 10/100 at the switch, but rather require you to configure the
desktop to 10 or 100 speed manually.

I suppose the idea is that everyone should be using autonegotiation
according to cisco.

scott

""John Neiberger""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
> devices use option #1.  Why is this a problem?  Here's what happens when
you
> connection an option #1 device to an option #2 device:
>
> #1 participates in autonegotiation, only offer the configured settings.
> #2 does not participate in autonegotiation at all and will forcefully use
> the configured settings.
> #1, seeing that there's nothing on the other side using auto assumes it is
> connected to a HUB, and just might set itself to 10/Half regardless of the
> manually configured settings!
>
> As you can guess, this is bad mojo.  The moral of the story is that you
> should try to start using AUTO on BOTH sides if you're using newer Cisco
> switches, in particular the 2950 series.  In some cases this won't work
and
> you'll have to resort to manual settings.
>
> HTH,
> John

> Mike Momb wrote:
> >
> > To all,
> >
> > We recently replaced our Nortel switches and routers with Cisco
> > 2980 switches and 6509 routers.  We have two buildings, 10
> > floors each and a router in each building.  We have a
> > combination of NT and Novell servers.   After replacing all
> > this equipment, we have noticed that when we access files on
> > the NT servers, the speed is acceptable.  When we access files
> > on the Novell servers, it is very very slow.  Could the
> > switches or routers be configured incorrectly for IPX.  Is
> > there something that we can change.  On Cisco's web page it
> > mentioned something about enabling ipx
> > broadcast-fastswitching.   Any input or comments would be
> > appreciated.
>
> I doubt that ipx broadcast-fastswitching will help you unless you are
using
> an ipx helper-address. With ipx helper-address (just like ip
helper-address)
> you can tell a router to forward a broadcast, which it normally doesn't
do.
> This would be useful for some rare IPX application that sent broadcasts
that
> needed to reach the other side of the router. In typical IPX networks,
> there's no such need. When there is a need, you can speed it up with the
ipx
> broadcast-fastswitching command.
>
> You titled your message "10 half or 100 full." I think this was a Freudian
> slip. I bet your problem is related to a full-duplex mismatch. Perhaps the
> NICs in the NT servers negotiated correctly but the NICs in the Novell
> servers did not and you have a mismatch.
>
> With a mismatch, the full duplex side will send whenever it wants. The
half
> duplex will get upset if it sees the other side sending while it is also
> sending and will backoff and retransmist, leaving behind a CRC-errored
runt.
> That side will reports a collision. The other side will report runts and
CRC