Scott Roberts wrote:

> if I understand what you're saying, I think its always been
> like that, cisco
> hasn't changed it.

What he's saying is that if you manually configure the duplex mode, the IEEE
standards don't say if the port should participate in autonegotiation or
not. Since there's no standard, Cisco and other devices have unpredictable
behavior that changes with models, software versions, the whim of the
programmer, etc. If a device doesn't participate in autonegotiation, the
other end may assume it's too old to do so, and must be an old 10/half device.

> you're refering to the fact that the IOS switch don't let you
> change the
> speed?

He didn't mention that, but it's an interesting comment. Is it true? What
happened to the speed {auto|10|100) command. That used to be available on
IOS switches??

> I think thats strange also, the set based switch can
> allow you to
> change speed, but after the IOS "upgrading" of switches they
> don't allow you
> to change a 10/100 at the switch, but rather require you to
> configure the
> desktop to 10 or 100 speed manually.
>
> I suppose the idea is that everyone should be using
> autonegotiation
> according to cisco.

Many experts are starting to say use autonegotiation. It will avoid lots of
problems these days.

But it is a lot like the "plug and PRAY" days of old. :-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com