Hi Mike, all

I have come accress this problem when connecting Novell Servers/Clients to
Cisco switches, the solution is two things.

1/ enable spantree portfast on these cisco ports by:
set spantree portfast 6/3 enable
But be carefull this is good idea only for ports connecting to a single host
i.e (to a Server or another switch) NOT to a hub..

Also
2/ I disabled Auto-negotiation on Cisco switch ports connecting to Novell or
other vendor switches, cause Auto Negotiate does not work with many devices.

Hope this helps.
Sarkis