I see what you're saying now. what would be nice to see is what traffic
there is on a protocol analyzer. I would think that #2 should be the
situation and your #1 is not the proper negotiation.

I've never tried to cpature auttonegotiation with an analyzer before, I
wonder if you can even capture that stuff?

scott

""John Neiberger""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
> > they handle it, which is the cause of a lot of our problems.
> >
> > If you hard-set the speed and duplex there are two ways to handle this:
> >
> > 1.  Use the configured settings and still participate in autonegotiation
> > only offering the configured settings.
> >
> > 2.  Use the configured settings and do not participate in
autonegotiation

> > Cisco's new switches seem to use option #2, while a great number of our
> end
> > devices use option #1.  Why is this a problem?  Here's what happens when
> you
> > connection an option #1 device to an option #2 device:
> >
> > #1 participates in autonegotiation, only offer the configured settings.
> > #2 does not participate in autonegotiation at all and will forcefully
use
> > the configured settings.
> > #1, seeing that there's nothing on the other side using auto assumes it
is
> > connected to a HUB, and just might set itself to 10/Half regardless of
the
> > manually configured settings!
> >
> > As you can guess, this is bad mojo.  The moral of the story is that you
> > should try to start using AUTO on BOTH sides if you're using newer Cisco
> > switches, in particular the 2950 series.  In some cases this won't work
> and
> > you'll have to resort to manual settings.
> >
> > HTH,
> > John

> > Mike Momb wrote:
> > >
> > > To all,
> > >
> > > We recently replaced our Nortel switches and routers with Cisco
> > > 2980 switches and 6509 routers.  We have two buildings, 10
> > > floors each and a router in each building.  We have a
> > > combination of NT and Novell servers.   After replacing all
> > > this equipment, we have noticed that when we access files on
> > > the NT servers, the speed is acceptable.  When we access files
> > > on the Novell servers, it is very very slow.  Could the
> > > switches or routers be configured incorrectly for IPX.  Is
> > > there something that we can change.  On Cisco's web page it
> > > mentioned something about enabling ipx
> > > broadcast-fastswitching.   Any input or comments would be
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > I doubt that ipx broadcast-fastswitching will help you unless you are
> using
> > an ipx helper-address. With ipx helper-address (just like ip
> helper-address)
> > you can tell a router to forward a broadcast, which it normally doesn't
> do.
> > This would be useful for some rare IPX application that sent broadcasts
> that
> > needed to reach the other side of the router. In typical IPX networks,
> > there's no such need. When there is a need, you can speed it up with the
> ipx
> > broadcast-fastswitching command.
> >
> > You titled your message "10 half or 100 full." I think this was a
Freudian