>I have been trying to follow this, and I still do not see why we
should
>get away from the old Cisco switch courses that if you set both sides
>100 full duplex if they are capable you will be fine. I have not seen
>any situation where hard setting both sides caused problems (am I
>missing something?). Question I ask is why even fool with the
>unpredictable auto negotiate.
>
>Someone help me out here what am I missing.

The problem that you will eventually run into is that there is no
standard behavior specified except for autonegotiation.  Since we
installed over thirty Catalyst 2950s, several 2948Gs, a few 2980Gs, and
a 6513 I've started seeing this issue.

If you manually set the speed and duplex that results in one of two
possible behaviors, neither of which is specified in any standard.  Read
my explanation below again where I describe the two options.  If you
start mixing one set of products that picks option #1 with another set
that chooses option #2 I guarantee you will see problems and it will
drive you crazy.  :-)

It appears that older Cisco switches utilized option #1, as do the
majority of the NICs that we use.  When we switched to the newer Cisco
switches an avalanche of troubleshooting began, along with our support
team being flooded with calls.  They usually went something like this:

"Someone from your department was replacing something in the back room
this morning and now everything runs terribly slow."   Ugh.... we must
have heard that at least forty times, and just here at our headquarters
it seems like we're resolving user and server issues daily by setting
the NICs and switches to auto.

If hard setting everything is currently working for you, don't change a
thing.  Just be aware of the issue because it's bound to sneak up on you
sooner or later.

John

I'd
>also
>> > avoid manually configuring the speed and duplex unless you have
>do so
>> > fix a specific problem.  Here's why:
>> >
>> > There is no standardized behavior for 100BaseTX when you manually
>> configure
>> > settings!  The only setting mentioned in the specification is
AUTO;