I have some sympathy with some of what Tim wrote, although I think that I'll be
working in and enjoying Clojure for some time to come (really -- I'm finding it
to be fantastic in many ways -- including the community). I'm not sure I agree
with or even understand all of Tim's complaints, but as a relative newcomer to
the Java world I share some of his thoughts about getting started.

The last two environments I've worked/taught in have been DrScheme and
Processing, and both of these have the virtue that you download/install one
thing and instantly have an intuitive IDE within which you can write and run
code. Same for MCL way back in the day, and for just about any other
environment in which I've done much work or teaching (egads, back to Turbo
Pascal and Think C). BTW Processing even has a one button "export applet"
function that makes web deployment of applets trivial, and this is REALLY
attractive to students with non-compsci backgrounds and other total newcomers
to programming.

To many of you setting up Clojure probably seems just about as simple, and you
may be thinking "Jeez -- if they can't even do that then how do they expect to
be able to do anything interesting with the language anyway?" But for newcomers
to Java -- even newcomers with lots of coding experience in other environments
-- the issues with classpaths and putting jars in the right places can be
pretty frustrating, to say nothing of the hoops one has to jump through to set
up slime or the other available IDEs (even with the very nice videos that some
of you have made, because there are enough steps and platform dependencies that
things can go wrong in many ways). Although I now have a nice environment set
up I'm still a little worried about how I'll deal with setup on all of the
machines in our lab, and on the laptops of students with no previous
experience...

I'm sure that this can and will be overcome, in part because I think that for
my main environment (Mac OS X) and for my needs (which are more about ease of
starting to write and run code than about deployment) MCLIDE/Clojure is very
close already (three cheers for Terje!).

So whatever else might have been right or wrong about Tim's post, I agree that
it could be a little easier for total newcomers to get going... and I think the
community will grow even more quickly when it is.

 -Lee

On Mar 21, 2010, at 4:39 PM, Laurent PETIT wrote:

> Yeah,
>
> too bad he removed his entry, 'cause as you said, installing clojure
> isn't harder than installing anything java based. I don't know of a
> sysadmin nowadays which had not to deal with java stuff in a way or
> another ? And ant is around the place *for years*. So more input from
> him may have helped more clearly identify the root problem.

>>> Really?  This is not c.l.l and it's not likely that this thread would
>>> have devolved into flaming or worse.  It's unfortunate he feels the
>>> need to take such an extreme measure because I didn't read his post as
>>> a troll and felt that a dialog about his issues might have been
>>> enlightening.
>>>

>> I don't understand the complaints about installing Clojure. As far as I know
>> there's nothing required to 'install' Clojure beyond downloading the
>> clojure.jar, other than I guess having a working Java installation.
>> Similarly, I don't understand the difficulties in deploying Clojure
>> applications. At least as far as web applications go, I really like the one
>> WAR file deployment of Java applications. It's certainly far easier in
>> general than deploying Python applications for example.
>> --
>> Cosmin Stejerean
>> http://offbytwo.com
>>
>> --

>> clojure+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words
>> "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

> clojure+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words
> "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/