Everyone has their preferences, and the best thing to do is to try it all and
pick what you like.

That said... here's my experience with IntelliJ, and others

Table of Contents:
1. On IntelliJ
2. On Emacs and "Emacs Live"
3. On Light Table
4. On Sublime Text (ST)
5. Conclusion

1. On IntelliJ
-----------------

I've tried Eclipse, NetBeans, and IntelliJ for Java development.

Of those, I only tried IntelliJ for Clojure development because I despise
Eclipse's bloat and poor UI design, and Netbeans, while better (IMO), just
isn't as slick and fast, and... intelligent :-p as IntelliJ. I really cannot
wrap my head around why so many people like Eclipse. I think it must be a
Mac/Windows-type phenomenon or something. There I've gone and pissed off half
the users on this list... :-p

IntelliJ's La Clojure and Leiningen plugins are alright. They have some code
sense autocompletion stuff, and you can jump to definitions (to an extent, it
doesn't always work).

Overall it's my 2nd favorite choice for Clojure only because it too, is too
bloated for my liking. Not as bloated as the other two "big IDEs", but still
bloated.

2. On Emacs and "Emacs Live"

I've used Emacs off and on for about 3 years now. I spent weeks, probably
months customizing it, trying out the emacs-starter-kit and making it my own. I
let it along after I went on a Clojure sabbatical for a while and lived in
Xcode.

When I came back, I saw this "Emacs Live" project and decided to give emacs one
more shot because of it.

IMO, it sucks. Emacs is always going to suck from a UI and GTD perspective. It
will only be embraced by the hardcore tinkerers who get a kick out of spending
equal time tinkering with their editor as they do actual coding. It's kinda
like the software equivalent of owning a Harley Davidson, except you look a
nerd instead of an intimidating biker.

Emacs Live is also slow. Out of the box it's slow to launch on my fast 2010 MBP
2.4Ghz Core i5 with 8GB of RAM and an SSD. They'll tell ya to run emacsclient
and all that but it's just more bullshit.

If you like tinkering and memorizing a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, go with
Emacs. Make sure you have a nice IRC client though because you're going to need
it when things stop working. Emacs has one built-in btw, but you might need to
get a regular GUI-based IRC client first, you know, so that you can figure out
the Emacs-based one. :-p

3. On Light Table
-----------------------

Light Table seems promising but in my testing it's not ready for daily use,
mostly due to lack of plugins and missing features.

4. On Sublime Text (ST)
--------------------------------

Sublime Text is fucking awesome. This is my #1 choice for Clojure development.

While ST3 is in beta, it's best to use version 2 because many plugins,
including the REPL integration via the SublimeREPL plugin, only work with
version 2. There are some issues with nREPL at the moment, so use this fork
until they can fix it in the main project (found via Github Issues):
https://github.com/emestee/SublimeREPL

ST has many things going for it:

- Incredible customization via hundreds of plugins supported by a giant
community
- Brilliant plugin and customization system that puts Emacs to shame in terms
of balance between power and usability
- Fast. And faster launch times than Emacs Live
- Beautiful UI with many different color schemes and themes available (note:
themes are not the same thing as syntax color schemes. I recommend the Soda
Dark theme with Monkai Soda coloring.
- Built-in package manager for plugins, with the option to install plugins
without using it too.
- Organized settings that use the well known and very readable JSON format. You
don't have code mixed with settings like you do with Emacs, and there is a
standard place that everything is supposed to go, unlike the free-for-all
nightmare that Emacs has.
- There's a paredit plugin available for it if you care (I don't, and haven't
used it).

It's worth spending some time customizing Sublime Text, but the good news is
that your time won't be spent in vain, and once you have it set up the way you
like, there's no need to continue tinkering like crazy.

5. Conclusion

- Yes, IntelliJ is a very good IDE for Clojure development.
- Sublime Text is better. :-)
- Cross your fingers for Light Table

Cheers,
Greg

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.