On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Greg <g...@kinostudios.com> wrote:
> 1. On IntelliJ
> 2. On Emacs and "Emacs Live"
> 3. On Light Table
> 4. On Sublime Text (ST)
> 5. Conclusion

I've tried IntelliJ several times and just can't on with the way it
operates. Clearly a very personal thing. I used to use Eclipse a lot -
a background in languages where Eclipse support was typically better
than other IDEs at the time I got started with them - but it is really
bloated and trying to use it on a low-powered Ubuntu netbook was the
final straw for me, which is a shame because I think Counter ClockWise
is an excellent plugin and Eclipse overall fitted my workflow better
than anything else (a few years back).

I used Emacs a lot in the 17/18/19 days (I caught the tail end of 17,
all of 18, and stopped using it just after 19 appeared). Back then, it
was "the business" (I was mostly a C developer back then). More on
Emacs below.

LightTable is indeed very, very interesting. I am trying to use it
exclusively one day a week for all that day's work, but the lack of
Git integration drives me bonkers (I know there will be a plugin for
it in time). I also haven't quite figured out my REPL-based workflow
in LT.

When I started doing Clojure, I used TextMate so it was an obvious
choice to try Sublime Text 2. I tried it on Mac, Windows, and Linux
and it drove me insane with its quirks, bugs, inconsistencies across
platforms and (at the time) very poor REPL integration. I know it's
gotten better but I just found it clunky and the workflow felt hacked
together. That said, three of my team love ST2.

In October 2011, I decided to give Emacs another chance - specifically
for Clojure development - and that's what I use day-in, day-out. I
have a slightly customized setup but it really doesn't have much
beyond the starter kit, rainbow delimiters and autocompletion added.
It has a huge learning curve (nay, a _cliff_!) but it is hands down
the best Clojure environment (in my opinion - and about 70% of all
Clojure developers surveyed, according to Chas's surveys).

Coming back to Emacs after about a 20 year break(!), I was surprised
to see it had only advanced to version 24 (in fact, back in October
2011, 24 was only a preview build), and it took a fair bit of getting
used to (again). Since then, two of my team have also switched
full-time from ST2 to Emacs. The third does a lot of front end web dev
and finds ST2 easier to work with - but I suspect when she starts
doing Clojure / ClojureScript work, she'll switch too.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."