Ed:

I sailed/lived aboard a 51 for many years.  Everyone thought we were crazy when
we removed the bow thruster (it didn’t work anyway).  I can say I never missed
it.  They do add some drag - probably not as much as you would expect.  I would
think a pod hanging down would be worse.  Nevertheless,I just don’t see the
need and I sail in the same area as you.  It sounds strange, but my experience
has been the tighter the slip the easier it is to get into. There just isn’t as
much room to screw up!  Yes, there has been the rare occasion where it would
have been helpful coming in.  Leaving a dock it serves no purpose as god
invented spring lines.  To me, the complexity of the systems, to say nothing of
the cost, just isn’t justified.  I

My opinion would be just say no…

Of course, it’s your money and you should spend it however you damn well want
to.

John