David — you need a controller!  The open-output voltage under full sunlight of
many panels is too high for your batteries; and if you get an MPPT controller,
you’ll get good charging even under less-than ideal sunlight conditions, where
the panel voltage is generally too low to charge without the controller.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

greatly appreciated!