One other thing to keep in mind: if you do damage a pole, and it’s carbon
fiber, it’s going to be a pricey fix.  With aluminum, you can usually remove
and reuse the end fittings and get new tubing; or if the damage is near an end
fitting, cut the damaged tubing off and reinstall the end fitting on a shorter,
but still usable, pole.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis