We bent a spin pole on a C&C 33 MKII a day before the start of Chester Race Week....called the Binnacle who said bring the bent pole and they would have us a new one in two hours or less...they cannibalized it and only really needed a new tube, which they had. We were ready to go in 1 1/2 hours.

Now if that had been carbon fibre, we would not have raced in Chester in our class.....maybe cruiser class, white sail only, no spin.

On 2019-04-03 3:20 p.m., Frederick G Street via CnC-List wrote:
One other thing to keep in mind: if you do damage a pole, and it’s carbon fiber, it’s going to be a pricey fix.  With aluminum, you can usually remove and reuse the end fittings and get new tubing; or if the damage is near an end fitting, cut the damaged tubing off and reinstall the end fitting on a shorter, but still usable, pole.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis
S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- on the hard in Bayfield, WI   :^(